This is an interview I did with Internet and Mobile marketing expert Howie Schwartz.
At the time of this interview, I caught up with Howie at the World Internet Summit here in Atlanta. I didn’t realize how much we had in common in terms of our interests in the world of marketing until I saw Howie’s presentation that day.
I later found out that Howie is also very much and expert in the field of Mobile Marketing, which is also a passion of mine.
Pay very close attention to what Howie is saying in this video, because he and I share a fundamental belief in how to approach keyword research the proper way to get the most benefit from the search engines.
And don’t forget, please leave any comments and/or suggestions.
In the video below, I discuss a very important strategy I use that literally catapulted my business to the next level when I began implementing it. It is all about mindset and I cover a good bit of the strategy in the video.
It is also the underlying thought process of how I was able to develop my keyword research strategy for doing market research to find hungry buyers. This ultimately led to the creation of my very first internet marketing related product.
I hope you enjoy the video below and please leave any comments and/or suggestions. I love receiving feedback as it lets me know that I am providing valuable information that my readers appreciate!
This post is an actual audio I recorded that builds upon my previous post: Dirty Little Internet Marketing Secret.
My aim to help bring the Internet Marketing industry more valuable and actionable information. With so much clutter and garbage online, I started blogging because I have a keen interest in helping others achieve their goals. This website allows me to share what I have learned that works and didn’t work, as well as provide resources for other places where you can find more actionable information.
In this first volume of many more to come, I talk about how important it is to start with your market first and let them dictate what you need to do to better serve them. This is a subject that I am very passionate about.
I hope you enjoy it. Please leave some feedback about what you like, dislike, or information you would like to hear more about.
RANT ALERT: This is sort of like a rant because I am sick of all these so called Internet Marketing Gurus giving out misinformation, lies, and deceit. This post is going to be very long, but very informative. It’s time for our industry to grow up and take responsibility for all the crap that’s out there and this is my way of helping the cause.
You can also read my post about Finding The Right Keywords.
The #1 secret that most internet marketing gurus are desperately trying to hide from you is that you should stop chasing keywords. You should always (I mean ALWAYS) start with the market or niche first. Here’s why:
1. If you take the time to understand your market, they will tell you what keywords you need to use to captivate them.
2. If you take the time to really research your market on the front end, you will save a ton of time on the back end as well as make a higher return on your investment.
3. People are not stupid. They know when you are blowing smoke or you are sincere about providing a real solution to their problems. It’s like getting to know someone on a first date, you won’t do well if the other person senses that you are not willing to take a real interest in them.
Here are some reasons so called gurus don’t want you to know this:
1. Many of them don’t know much more than you so they want you to believe them in order to sell you something. I was at the most recent StomperNEt Live event and one of the speakers stated that most SEO consultants don’t know what the hell they are doing. They want you to think that it is so difficult because they want to take your money.
2. Keyword research software companies have a vested interest in making you believe that starting with keywords first is the right thing to do. They want you to believe that their product is the magic bullet that solves all your market research issues. To be fair though, there are many excellent keyword software companies that provide really excellent training to help you understand how to fully benefit from their products and care about you and your business.
3. If you are ignorant or misinformed, it is easier to force you into some type of continuity program that provides no real value while they continue to milk you for money month after month. Continuity and membership programs are hot right now so there are a lot of snake oil salesmen trying to force you into a continuity that has no value.
You may be wondering by now, what should I do? In my opinion, there are at least 20 questions you should be asking yourself before you make any decision about how to approach market research to be more successful online. Since these 20 questions can vary from one market to the next, I am going to give you 5 basic questions you should ask yourself that can relate to any market pertaining to online marketing.
1. Do I have a full understanding of my target market in terms of what they want in the online space? You should have a clear picture of your target market and what triggers affect your market online.
2. Do I have any idea of what products or service are in demand in my market or niche online? There may be products or services in your market that may be in high demand, but either not available online or not being serviced properly by the current offers your market is seeing.
3. Do I know what is already selling online for my market or niche in places like Amazon, eBay, etc.? This is the easiest thing to do. Find what is already selling online then go make something better and cheaper than the competition.
4. Do I know the online commercial intent for my market? This means, understanding whether your market likes to purchase goods or services online or not. Some markets have not caught up with the online aspect of making buying decisions on the internet and you should know this before you spend a big investment of time or money to offer an online solution for something your market may not even be interested in.
5. Do I understand the demographics of my market well enough so that I can find out where they hang out? If you can pull this one off, you can increase your online marketing ROI by huge numbers. There are tons of resources online to help you with figuring out where your market likes to hang out. You can also use services like Twitter to find out about your market. I wrote a post about Using Twitter For Keyword Research you should check out. Demographics marketing was the single most important factor that allowed me to finally become successful online. I was able to key in on a very specific market because I knew where they liked to hangout. Then I was very aggressive in getting their attention so I could show them my offer that was laser targeted.
Ok, so this is the end of the rant and I hope the light bulbs started going off. If you go and apply some of this information to your online business, I am certain it will help increase your profitability. If you are new to internet marketing, then hopefully you will take this information and run with it.
In this video I discuss how powerful Oprah Winfrey’s influence is on Internet search traffic.
If you pay attention to the recommendations that Oprah and her guests make on the show, usually it creates a very high interest in whatever the subject may be. This in turns drives Internet search traffic because people want to find out more about the subject, topic, product, etc.
Sometimes, her guests even encourage the viewers to look it up to get more information. This happened on a very recent show in which Oprah’s guest was Dr. Mehmet Oz, who was discussing a product called Resveratrol (source for article in the video).
Check out the video for more.
Link for Wikipedia Article Traffic Statistics Tool used in video (http://stats.grok.se/).